Friday, October 3, 2014

Air brakes

Have you ever noticed that the air brakes on a bus sound like someone drawing frantic breaths while crying?

I brought one of my Chemistry classes on a field trip to the American Museum of Natural History in New York. It was a simple and quick trip. On the train back home, I fell asleep. At one point I was awoken by the movement of the train. Across from me I saw that two of my students had also fallen asleep. Two girls, best friends. They had fallen asleep against each other, the shorter girl resting her head on her friend's shoulder.

I bought a Jeep to assuage my family's concerns about my riding a motorcycle in the winter and also to satisfy my dream of owning a Jeep. My father owns a Jeep. His is beige and mine is red and in slightly worse shape. The mornings are dark now, but I still ride my bicycle. When it is very cold I will drive my newly acquired car. I have figured out how to tune the radio to NPR, and when I turn on the heat, the belt squeaks under the hood and I am reminded of countless dark mornings, driving a cold car and listening to NPR. I feel like I have lived an entire life since then.

There is a new Biology teacher at my school this year, replacing a woman who left to find a better job closer to her new house. She exuded a confidence and stability in the way only an overweight woman can. Her replacement is a young looking man who is very thin and slightly shorter than me. He seems always on the verge of forgetting something, and reacts to small things that I say with what seems to be a genuine and deep surprise. He is twenty nine years old and I am twenty three years old and I try not to sound patronizing when I ask him how he is doing. I think he is overwhelmed with the job.

I have read more books since my last post. I am keeping a list on my computer at home, and I will share it on this blog as soon as I remember to.

Here's a blurry photograph I took at a recent wedding I attended. Believe me when I say that I appreciated the humor in attending a Connecticut wedding held at a Yacht club.


No comments:

Post a Comment