Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Oversea Highway


So this year I have two major resolutions. The first is to read one book every week, for a total of 52 books by the end of the year. I was inspired by a similar, but more challenging resolution made by a close friend of mine: to read 100 books by the end of the year. 52 is not 100, but it is still a respectable number. So far, I have been staying on schedule, and I am currently reading book number #5 (although I have experimented by reading sections of other books). Here's my completed list so far, with accompanying reviews (5 words maximum).

1) Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy: Beautiful but bleak, enjoyable, and troubling.

2) Pastoralia by George Saunders: Poignant, bursting with rhetorical questions.

3) Civilwarland in Bad Decline by George Saunders: Funnier than Pastoralia, strangely sadder.

4) Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger: Insightful, lots of cigarettes.

I feel exceptionally proud that I was able to shave an extra word down on that last review.



Here is a photograph I took of the Flagler Presbyterian Church in St. Augustine, Florida:


No comments:

Post a Comment