Saturday, April 13, 2013

Thursdays

I was struck by something recently; the realization of how dramatically different my life is now. Rereading old posts, I came across a self-searching expose on the meaning of life (#42/515). In this expose was a hidden gem: "I think I will read a lot today."

This may seem completely innocuous to you, but WAIT! There's more! The post was dated from January 2009. On a Thursday. A Thursday! The fourth day of the work week! The day before Friday! My Thursdays now are fantastic simply because they are one of the few days (along with the illustrious Friday) when I have no after-work obligations. And my Fridays have been historically spent in migration. So, when you talk about relaxing, Thursdays are really where its at. I cannot imagine waking up on a Thursday and commenting, "I think I will read a lot today." My commentaries usually involve, "What will I teach my students today?" or "I wonder how many empty plastic bottles I will be able to kick on my walk to work?"

I love reading and I fear that I have not done enough of it during the last seven months.

My life, as I have known it, is ending later today.

The empty vacuum waits just beyond the reaches of 9:00PM.

What strangeness sits on those distant shores?

Can I read books there?

1 comment: